You've heard it said: "Laughter is the best medicine!" but let's not leave out the simple act of smiling! Smiling alone can boost your mood and even your immune system. One of the most rewarding aspects of being an orthodontist is knowing that my patients will be proud of their smiles and will reap all the benefits of smiling and laughing. Keep reading for more fascinating facts about our smiles:
1. Forcing yourself to smile can boost your mood: Psychologists have found that even if you're in a bad mood, you can instantly lift your spirits by forcing yourself to smile.
2. Smiling boosts your immune system: Smiling really can improve your physical health, too. Your body is more relaxed when you smile, which contributes to good health and a stronger immune system.
3. Smiles are contagious: It's not just a saying: smiling really is contagious, scientists say. In a study conducted in Sweden, people had difficulty frowning when they looked at other subjects who were smiling, and their muscles twitched into smiles all on their own.
4. Smiles Relieve Stress: Your body immediately releases endorphins when you smile, even when you force it. This sudden change in mood will help you feel better and release stress.
5. It's easier to smile than to frown: Scientists have discovered that your body has to work harder and use more muscles to frown than it does to smile.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg! We will continue this series on the Power of Smiles in our next blog, so please follow us! Till then...